In case of power outages during disaster situations, these procedures should be followed:
1. Leave one light on so you will know when power is back on. Unplug other appliances in case of power surge when power returns.
2. Avoid unnecessary travel, especially in a car as traffic lights will not be functioning and roads will be congested.
3. Keep refrigerator closed to keep food cold. If necessary, use a cooler with ice surrounding perishable food.
4. Do not use gas heaters/generators indoors as this will produce carbon monoxide poisoning that can kill you.
5. If you are trapped in an elevator, do not panic. Use the alarm on the elevator to alert others you are trapped.
6. If you are on campus or in campus buildings and the source for power outage is on campus, stay away from downed power lines and broken high-temperature water lines. Shut off the gas and electricity in your assigned work area. Do not light matches or other flames inside buildings. Gas lines may be damaged and explosions or fire could occur. Report problems to Campus Security at 208-496-3000.